I was on a website looking up some bible verses yesterday when I noticed this little ad on the top of the screen:
With all the attention being paid to ObamaCare and its damn hippie, communist solution to a VERY big problem in the United States, I just had to click it (You can click the picture above to experience what I experienced, if you like).
What I came a cross was a poorly put together website about a health insurance option, called Medi-Share, for Christians. It doesn’t contain much info (they want you to sign up to receive more) other than a few things that really caught my attention.
What is Medi-Share?Medi-Share is a community of more than 50,000 Christians who follow the biblical model of sharing and paying each other’s medical bills much like the early church did 2,000 years ago. And as a not-for-profit ministry that promotes healthy biblical lifestyles, participation is affordable.
Worried about the new Health Care Bill?
Afraid you’ll be forced to buy health insurance you can’t afford? Our economy is bad enough and according to a recent study by Price Waterhouse Coopers, the new healthcare reform bill will make health insurance premiums rise by 40%.
Healthcare sharing ministries like Medi-Share are the only organizations to be exempt from the regulations and costs of the recently passed health care bill (Page 128, H.R. 3590 ).
This means that as a part of Medi-Share, you would be exempt, too. The requirements, the taxes, the penalties, and the high costs will simply pass you by.
What they don’t tell you is… well… any of the facts! The fact is, if people are happy with their current choice in healthcare insurance providers they are more than welcome to remain happy customers. ObamaCare simply protects those that have gone so long without protecting and have taken us all down with them in the meantime. It’s simple really: Give people the ability to be able to have quality health insurance so that they can receive quality care, stay healthy and keep the cost of insurance down for everyone. Has it ever dawned on these people that maybe the reason healthcare costs keep rising is because SOMEONE has to pay for the healthcare being received by those who are unable to pay?! All this does is regulate the insurance companies so they can no longer continue to take advantage of us like they ALWAYS have.
Here are some facts about ObamaCare that I think those considering this Medi-Share option (or are just simply against the law) should consider:
• Uninsured Americans cost the American healthcare system an additional $49 billion. Only 12% of uninsured families pay their hospital bills in full, this includes families making over $88k a year. These costs affect the rising cost of insurance premiums; ObamaCare helps to reduce this spending drastically.
• The Affordable Health Care Act doesn’t just focus on insurance, it also reforms the parts of the healthcare system that aren’t working, or are costing the tax payer money. For example, by focusing on preventive measures instead of just treatment, ObamaCare will save tens of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives.
• ObamaCare makes it illegal for health insurance companies to terminate coverage for any reason other than customer fraud.
And as for those pesky “taxes, penalties and high costs”?
• If an you or your family chooses not to purchase healthcare through the Online Health Insurance Exchange, they can still buy private insurance, get insurance through their employer, Medicare, or Medicaid. Those who chose to not purchase insurance will pay an income “penalty” tax to help cover the rest of us. In other words, it’s a tax, not a mandate; no one is actually forcing you to have health insurance.
In summary, if you choose not to protect yourself against the unknown health issues you may or may not have in the future, ObamaCare protects the rest of us who do choose to protect ourselves so that when we have to pay for your hospital visit, we’re covered and protected from price hikes. Seems completely unreasonable, right?!
I am guessing that the completely falsified remarks on the Affordable Healthcare Act are merely a lure to attract its most likely customer: those that identify themselves as the religious, conservative right. The actual premise of this healthcare plan is to separate all the righteous, god-fearing saints from the evil heathens like myself.
Medi-Share participants lead biblical lifestyles and have chosen not to share in the cost of medical care resulting from unbiblical decisions, such as abortion or drug abuse. That makes for a healthier group of people to care for, and a lower cost for our participants.
For over 17 years, Medi-Share participants have been helping one another through medical bill sharing—over $675 million has been shared and discounted! It’s God’s way of helping His people care for one another while providing healthcare that works.
Medi-Share: It’s a modern day version of what the church started back in the book of Acts.
Actually, those that choose to live “biblical lifestyles” are already exempt from having to care for those making “unbiblical decisions”:
• The Affordable Care Act allows religious institutions to choose to be exempt from providing controversial contraception and reproductive health services to women. Multiple businesses have also received an exemption after taking the ruling to court.
Not only that, but if they remain with their current insurance provider like they most likely will anyways, they won’t have to take part in any cost-sharing whatsoever. In fact, the only way you take part in cost-sharing is if you choose not to cover yourself, which is a dumb decision if you think about it. Why not cover yourself if you are going to have to pay anyways? THAT is the beauty and the genius of the Affordable Care Act — It’s dumb not to protect yourself which in turn makes you decide to actually protect yourself, thereby potentially protecting those around you.
I could go on and on and talk about this forever, but I won’t bore you. I just thought this was a perfect example of Christian ignorance and those exploiting it.